Thursday 28 December 2017

I'm transitioning to another phase of healthy hair care!


Quote-
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

[Warning: its a really long post, have patience and read till the end. This is my last post for 2017]


I saw the quote above while browsing for motivational quotes for a friend. When I saw this I noticed it could relate to me too. Here's how - I started my haircare journey in october 2013 and since then I've grown my hair from neck/shoulder length to midback length. I have been at mid back length for 6months (since June 2017)
and i honestly thought mid back length to waist length would take about 6 months. Now 6 months after I'm still mid back length. I'm prolly a few relaxers away but my ends are starting to look thin. Many of you must have noticed the ends and you probably think i dont know ....oh well, If you know you know right? Lol.
Now the goal seems a bit further when I trim and its generally going to be a hassle getting to wait out till I get full healthy waist length hair before I get into other plans that I have for my healthy hair journey.

Now the time it will take me to get to waist length makes me fear when I'm ever actually going to explore other options. Do I wait it out? While waiting what happens? So I decided to put this time to the best possible use and start something new. This time its not a healthy hair care journey but a healthy hair care in general. No more checking lengths and counting months or years... Now its a healthy hair lifestyle. This is now part of my life, its become so used to me that whether or not I'm expecting to reach a certain goal by a certain month I cannot go back to bad haircare practices or start using unhealthy products. If I were to keep track of this continually I would track it till I die because I'm never going to stop having healthy hair. Mid back length hair is also long enough to be noticed among normal length hair so there's no disputing that my hair has gotten really long. The flat ironing length checks will stop. The counting of years will stop. I will continue to grow it and nurture it but I'm taking a shift towards another dimension. This is what I've always wanted to do and I will do it while I'm waiting to get to waist length.




I first started by playing with colours a lot this year. Not on my hair though, I used extensions. I basically used black, red Burgundy, brown, blonde, yellow, purple and blue. Most people didn't quite agree with the colours but a larger number did. It was unique every time and I loved it. Next i bleached a really small portion of my hair with peroxide and it was really nice.



Its now like I'm transitioning to a more interesting phase of healthy haircare and to me honestly, its the most risky thing to transition to. I've seen bloggers and healthy hair gurus have to chop off the coloured portions of their hair due to wrong handling of the coloured hair. But still, there are a few that have really long healthy coloured hair that haven't experienced any damage. My top 2 hair colour crush are:

1. Mo knows hair



If you're not new to YouTube when it comes to healthy hair care you must have seen Monica of "Mo Knows Hair". She's a certified aveda hairstylist now but I've followed her long before then and her hair has been coloured for over 3years. She's not so bothered about length and length checks but her hair is long and healthy and that's all that matters.

2. Sunita V on Instagram and YouTube.



 She doesn't really talk much about hair she's more of a fashion, travel and lifestyle blogger. She's blessed with genetically gorgeous tresses but how she switches her hair colour frequently without damage amazes me. In a year she switched from brown to red to blonde to black and all of the colours are radiant! A true hair colour crush.

One thing to put in mind is that hair colour is a commitment. I've done enough research and found out the care and attention given to colour treated hair is twice what you would for uncoloured hair. Deep conditioning treatments have to be followed religiously, heat has to be cut down too. There's info but experience is the best teacher. So its going to be quite a learning process as well.

Some friends that are so much aware of the damage hair colour can cause still tell me not to go down that road. What if its not successful for you?
ANS: I will likely chop of some length and transition to natural hair :-)

The colours I have in mind are blonde or red. This step is really  exciting for me. It will definitely cause a change in the products i use.

From my research , to get vibrant tone of your hair colour you will have to bleach the hair first. If not you would simply get a dull version of the colour you want.

Photo credit: IG @kemilewis


So ladies, that's the full scoop of whats happening right now as regards my hair. Hope you all are having a wonderful christmas celebration! All the best as you enter into a new year of unending joy and blessings! You will get unmerited favours and your expectations shall not be cut off. We all shall have Nothing short of an amazing year filled with good success and sweet lasting memories! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Advance!

Please My loves, take some time out to discuss with me in the comment section. Your opinion is highly welcomed :-)

•Have you coloured your hair before or currently have coloured hair?
• Which brand/brands of hair colour did you use and which was the best?
•Which shampoo/conditioner/moisturiser is best for colour treated hair?
•know any Nigerian haircare blogger with colour treated hair? Leave the link to their blog.




2 comments:

  1. Loved this idea for the post by using the blogger to explain things! You can tell you put in a lot of time doing this. Very informative and good ideas about another phase of healthy hair care and tips. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s very helpful for me because currently i am looking for : hair care products to my hair care. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Post!