Saturday 13 June 2015

Mini setback; no part of your regimen is worth skipping.



Hello Dearie's... This post is about my mini setback. Its coming a bit too late... I apologise for that.

It all started few days to my previous relaxer. I experiend scalp flaking at my nape. I tried removing the flakes and I wasn't that successful. Days later I relaxed and all was well. I didn't oil my scalp with any oil for up to 2 weeks and everything was fine. The third week after my relax I decided to start oiling my scalp again but I haven't replaced my castor oil so I decided to use my coconut oil. Coconut oil is not one of my favourite oil and I have had this one for quite a long time. So I did for sometime and the flakes came back. Not dandruff but real flakes. To top it all it itched like hell. I then stopped using it on my scalp and washed my hair a week later (I didn't have time to wash it then because I was preparing for my final predegree exam) for the itching I tied my head up anytime I came back from school. It still itched and I still tapped and scratched but I had a satin material on my head so I didn't hurt my scalp.



On washday while detangling with my okra detangler I removed so many flakes from the back of my head to my crown. My hair broke and shed like crazy. The detangler did a good job of helping me remove shed hairs. I didn't coffee rinse or use black tea because I abandoned my coffee for sometime and when I opened it that day it was spoilt (I didn't even remember to get the N20 coffee they sell...phew!)

To ensure my scalp was really clean I used dudu osun black soap (lathered twice) and followed it up with ORS Replenishing conditioner to add moisture as well as protein. I have come home now and I used my sisters castor oil... No issues. I had to put my hair in very small twists to allow my hair rest for a while.

WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THE FLAKES AND ITCHING?
It all points to my coconut oil. I use unrefined locally made coconut oil. Its supposed to be the best but I don't think it is. Or maybe i have had it for a long time and its beginning to go bad. If I get coconut oil again it will be from brands like Parachute or Vatika. Maybe I might get to like those.

MOVING FORWARD
*I intend to stick to every bit of my regimen.
*God willing I will try to get some order a few products... adding an essential oil that helps prevent itching to my shampoo (tea tree and pepermint essential oils) seems like a great idea.
*I also will baby my ends and oil them regularly while in twists. Until I think it gets better.
*I already snipped off a lil bit of hair about half an inch from my twisted ponytail but I will do a really big trim by January to get rid of all the ends.
*Coffee rinses on washday is a must
*No coconut oil on my scalp till I get a refined type.

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the shed hair but here's what the flakes look like.


Here's the amount of hair lost just fingerdetangling midweek.


My hair has been in twists since 2weeks now. I made the twists from my stretched flexi rod set. Washday will be in a few days.


Have you experienced such flaking? How did you handle it?


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Really sorry about your setbacks. Please do try the black tea rinse as soon as possible to reduce shedding. I needed coconut oil so badly i searched everwhere in my town but couldn't find any, it was only the locally made one that was available but i was afraid to put it in my hair because didn't know how it was made, so i decided to make it myself, i used two methods though, the first i mixed it with my olive oil and the second i didn't. You can check how i made it on my blog... but i tell you it was worth it and i love what it does to my hair, my hair didn't flake even though it's been long i washed it. By the way when you get a refined one, you'd be able to compare which is good for your hair. And oh how was your exams?

    hairlevation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dear...I have read your post on how to make the oil...its very detailed. You did a great job! I will definitely try making it myself some day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks dear, plz let me know when you do. And how was your exams?

    hairlevation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your setback. At least you were able to pinpoint the cause. Lke Dup zzy said, you can make your own coconut oil. I think Natural Nigerian and African Naturalistas sell coconut oil. I like Parachute too. Is there a SPAR in your area. They usually sell it there and it isn't too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion dear...yes there's a SPAR in Port Harcourt...it really isn't close to where I stay. I didnt tink they would sell that...but now that you've brought my attention to it i will try to shop there sometime soon.
      Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi dear, I've seen the parachute coconut oil at park and shop at garrison and prince mega shop at rumuola road opposite CAS.

    Your hair is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Post!