Monday 13 February 2017

How I style my hair: Crotchet Afro Protective hairstyle



Hey loves! wash day was yesterday but i decided not to put up a washday post as i followed thesame washday routine of my previous washday post and used thesame products too. Here's a pic of my hair after blow drying.



During the weekend i went for shopping for some new clothes and i figured i add something really new too. Something i have NEVER done and that is a Crotchet Protective hairstyle. I got a really kinky crotchet hair as i would love to see how i look in a really big afro, lol.


I didn't have my friend with me to help me out with making videos as i went along but i managed to take good pictures of every step. I will however repeat this same style on her hair and make a video of it.

So here's how I did my Crotchet afro on my hair.
The plan was to achieve different styling techniques from this single hairstyle. I wanted to have something that can be an all round afro and still be converted to a middle part afro.

I used up 23 out of 25 bended sections.

Step 1.

I had someone part my hair for me and then i made 8 Cornrows. I did the cornrows myself because i wasnt ready for any yanking and thugging on my hair, it has some new growth.

Step 2.



Braid the ends of the hair into one. I didnt use extensions and i just tucked in the hair till it was just the tips remaining and i secured with a bobby pin so it wont loosen.

Step 3.
I love the curl pattern of this hair! Its really close to my natural hair curl pattern. My friends confirmed it from my new growth!


I used 3 banded sections of the kinky hair for each cornrow and i just passed the crotchet hook under the cornrow, pull into the hook, cover the end of the hook and pull it through. This part will be best seen from a video. I will do that so dont worry.

Step 4


When i was done with my entire head i had something like a parting from the very front of my head to the nape and it was like the hair was separated in two. I did crotchets joining the two middle cornrows together and stopped somewhere in front so that the parting at the center will remain just in front.

Step 5

I checked for spaces in between the crotcheting and filled in the gaps till i had a full head of afro hair! Doing this crotchet style only took me 2hrs. Pretty cool for a newbie right? I konw :-). I took quite sometime beginning the first set because i didnt really watch any full video on how to. I just followed the short clips on Instagram. Some flops and bam! I'm on track! *happy dance*



I really want to see if there are other ways i can style this hair apart from the middle part and full afro look.
Here's the next day look!

Crotchet afro



Why did i choose to do a Crotchet protective hairstyle?

1. Its my first time wearing something that isn't a wig in 3 years. I really want to look different.

2. I want to step out of my comfort zone and let people see that the fact that i do not do sew-ins or wigs or crotchets doesn't mean I'm criticising people who do them.

3. The idea alone brought mixed feelings among my friends but at the same time it has bridged the gap between me and them. They have extensions on, i have too...i don't have to always go everywhere with my real hair and get all the attention and people poking hands into my hair. I want to be among them without the separation...once in a while.

That's it ladies, cant wait to read your thoughts! Leave a comment or two :-)

4 comments:

Most Viewed Post!