Thursday 23 July 2015

How to detangle matted natural hair



Hello there!  So this one is for my natural hair ladies or you have a kid with natural hair I figured this would be beneficial for you. If you follow me on instagram (@Juditherese) you've probably seen this picture I posted of my recreation of Kemi Lewis signature hairstyle which she did onstage at the 2015 Naija hair can grow saloon day out. I didn't attend the event and I have never watched her or anyone else do it.... but I was able to reproduce something similar :-) 

Original style on the right,  my sis on the left


Chic right? 


She was supposed to wear the hairstyle for 5 days before we braid it up to prevent shrinkage and tangling. But she fell sick by then and eventually had to leave it on for a week and some days (I also got into a accident and fell sick... Will tell you about that in my next post). So it was as matted and tangled and as shrinked up as it can be. Here's a pic

Can you see how tangled it was? 


So I thought this would help natural haired ladies and kids. I took pictures as I worked with her hair

What I used;
Detangler
moisturizer
Wide tooth comb
Rat tail comb for parting off sections for weaving.

PROCEDURE

(1) Section the hair and clip or tie it off: With this style my sisters hair was already in 3 sections. The Bobby pins I used were still in her hair so I didn't have to use a clip.

Spraying detangler

(2) Spray detangler all over the section and leave to penetrate for about 3 mins. You could use your fingers to massage the section so it gets to the strands really well


Moisturiser

(3) Apply a little moisturizer and Finger detangle gently. Now because the strands are moisturized and sprayed with detangler finger detangling shouldn't Be much of a big deal. You do this by gently separating the strands until you feel the section is fairly separated.

(4)Follow up with a wide tooth comb. Belive me I didn't have to do so much work with the wide tooth comb. I started by combing the ends first before going up to the middle and then the roots.
Fully detangled before twisting it off

(5)Twist or clip off the section you just completed and do the same to other sections.

Now I noticed that after I Finger detangled my first section and proceeded to use a wide tooth comb by the time I combed to the roots my comb was hard to pass through. That was because the hair at the roots close to the scalp didn't get the moisturizer and detangler so I had to go back and do that. I was mindful of it on the other sections and the comb glided right through. So you should make sure you work the detangler and moisturizer well throughout the hair (root to tip)

All done! 



She was to resume school the next day so I weaved up the back and front. A tip I'd like to add about braids done with natural hair is to not braid it to the very tips... And don't leave it loose either. When you braid, getting to the tips, start twisting till the very ends.

Final hairstyle! 


I'l have a post soon on braiding and threading natural hair. Because I know ure probably thinking I'm forgetting about natural hair since I blog more about my hair... I'm actually correcting that from now *fingers crossed*

                                                                        Stay safe... *muah*



7 comments:

  1. Such a talent you've got,so cute and neat.......me likey. Keep it up dear, nice one.

    hairlevation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww so sorry that you guys fell ill. And that hairstyle came out perfect. Well done Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you fell sick. I hope you're ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful Post!!! This is the first time I have read a post like this. Find Career tips here.



    Kids Hair Detangler

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Post!