Monday 24 August 2015

Wash day @18 weeks post (last wash day of this relaxer stretch)/product haul review!

Product Haul



Hey dearies! So I got some new products. My hair journey will be 2 years in October and I thought this was a better time for me to get some really great products for my general hair care.

The products I got are:
*Elasta Qp DPR 11 penetrating conditioner
*Trader Joe's nourish spa conditioner
*Lotta body moisture me curl and style milk for my bantu knots, flexi rods and twist outs
*Beautiful textures curl defining pudding (for my sister) for the same purpose of the Lotta body.
*Mane n tail detangler (for my sister)
*luster s-curl No drip moisturiser for my sis and I
*kuza end wrap (for rollersets and flexi rod sets)
*16oz Now foods Avocado oil
*Amla and Henna powders
*Some processing caps.
The Jamaican black castor oil is not mine.

Now my initial plan was to start using this products after my relaxer but I wanted to mix and match the deep conditioners so I thought to use them for this wash day to know how they work. I read so many reviews on these products and they were quite good ones. Let's see if they really are that good on my hair!



Out of curiosity, Prewashday during the week I moisturised my hair with the lusters s-curl No drip moisturiser.
My new staple moisturiser 

My hair felt so soft and awesome! And after wash day I applied little amount of it again. I kid you not, it's my staple moisturiser from now on. Need I mention, it did a great job on softening my new growth.

This will be my last wash day of this relaxer stretch. I will be relaxing my hair in 2 weeks time at 20 weeks post.
Wash day procedure/product review
(1) I started off wash day by spraying my new growth and hair with Mane n tail detangler waited for about 5mins for it to sink in and then finger detangled. It is really important to let whatever detangler or moisturiser you are using sink into your hair before combing for more effectiveness. I then followed up with a wide tooth comb.

Verdict: Detangling wasn't a hassle. Especially the length of my hair. My new growth had started to Matt up really bad and the Mane n tail helped to an extent. My hair felt conditioned and had volume afterwards :-)

(2) I applied some Trader Joe's nourish spa Conditioner to the length of my hair, covered with a processing cap and prepooed with heat for 15mins. Then Shampooed it out.
Hair with Trader Joe's nourish spa conditioner applied 


VERDICT: this conditioner is quite thick... I had to check the ingredients again to make sure it doesn't contain petrolatum or mineral oil but it didn't. It has an amazing smell.. But it was just OK and didn't get my hair as soft as my VO5 conditioners do! Not so soft, not slip, it just sank in... And that was it. But it contains alot of amazing ingredients!


(3)Shampooed with my VO5 shampoo and rinsed it out with warm water and wrapped my head with towel to soak up excess water

(4)Deep conditioned with Elasta Qp DPR 11 penetrating conditioner. I applied heat for 20mins then rinse it out with cool water. wrapped head for 10 mins then switched headwrap to t-shirt for another 10 mins.

Hair with Elasta Qp DPR 11 penetrating conditioner applied 

VERDICT: I think this deep conditioner did really well. It penetrated my strands and softened my hair. It had zero slip but it sank into my hair. I would love it if it had a bit more slip.

At this point I flipped out my flexi rods for an awesome flexi rod set using the Lotta body moisture me curl and style milk... I didn't know I was headed for a flexi rod fail!

(5) I sprayed some Mane n tail detangler to my still damp hair and detangled with my wide tooth comb.
(6)Applied the Lotta body moisturize me curl and style milk to a section at the back, separated a smaller section at a time and rolled the rods After about an hour with no electricity I took out all the flexi rods. Finger detangled and then used a flexi rod to stretch each of the quadrants. I didn't moisturize because I wanted to see if this product was truly moisturizing. Before I could complete the back, the power supply went off (if you are in Nigeria you'll know how much NEPA can ruin your plans).

I kept the rods in for about 2 hours and I just couldn't take it any more. My back was aching, I couldn't position my head well, overall I wasn't relaxed. It seemed I didn't set the rods as good as I used to because it used to be so easy for me to bend the rods inwards and sleep. After about an hour with no electricity I took out all the flexi rods. Finger detangled and then used a flexi rod to stretch each of the quadrants.




Woke up the next morning, removed the rods and my hair was still a bit damp. SMH. It air dried in a high pony and I later put it into this top Bun!

My bun for week 18


Why I was really experimentyy this wash day is to know how this products work for my hair. I'm not completely impressed with the deep conditioners and so to fix the problem, I'll be mixing it up with ORS Replenishing conditioner and some Avocado oil. The ORS will add slip and the avocado oil will increase the moisturizing effect of the DC mix. I can't give a proper review on the Lotta body moisturize me curl and style milk because my flexi rod set was a fail but now that my hair is dry my strands feel a bit smooth and I think it had something to do with the Lotta body.

Thank you for reading through this post :-D I have quite some interesting posts lined up for September.

*Relaxer update and length check.
*A summary of the things that made this relaxer stretch successful as well as picture of the protective  styles I wore during this stretch.
*My home made Amla hair oil infusion(my new scalp oil for hair growth)
*Natural hair wash day and bantu knot out.
*how I do my coffee rinses (with measurements) benefits as well as its cons

So watch this space! Do subscribe if you're new to this blog, relaxed or natural, let's get  long healthy  hair together! Follow me on IG @Juditherese for in between blog post updates.
Join other amazing ladies who are sharing their Washday experience HERE
Stay blessed.... *much love*



The Wash Day Experience

5 comments:

  1. It seems like you got plenty of really great products. I used to use S-curl when I started my hair journey but they recently changed the formula and my hair didn't like it. Will you do a product haul post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad this new formula didn't work for you :-( that's why they say, what works for one may not work for the other! I actually intended this post to be a product haul post and Washday post since I used only the new products. Another product haul post may just seem like I'm repeating half of this post. Don't you think?

      Delete
  2. It hurts when you spend so much time with your hair and the style doesn't come out as planned. Buns for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Elasta qp deep conditioner. I use elasta products (since June) I'm currently using the argan soy oyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love the Elasta Qp too. I may even give their moisturiser a try. Thanks for stopping by dearie! :-)

      Delete

Most Viewed Post!