Saturday 1 August 2015

The 'Sunflower love' Bun Tutorial 1: Making the flower Petals.

I
The Sunflower Love Bun


Hello loves! Happy New month to you all!  I thought a better way to welcome you into this new month of blessings is with a hair tutorial. I made this style with my sisters natural hair, no extensions. I know that I'll probably get sued if I just show you the protective style without telling you how I made it.
I got asked a lot how I did the first and so I made sure to take my time as I do this one. Even though it's on first try I took pics as I went along. My apologies for the lighting. It was done at night because I was busy during the day and my sis went to school. Then our Gen wasn't put on because of because my mums migraine was at its peak.

Can it be done on texlaxed hair? Yes

Can it be done on straight relaxed hair? Not so sure, but it wouldn't hurt to try! 

How long did it take? Detangling + styling +taking pictures by myself= Not up to an hour! I started by 9:40pm and was done by 10:24pm so it took 44mins. So It can be done in 30 mins or less. 

How many Bobby pins do you need? Umm... A lot of them :-) I bought a pack that contains 20 for 50naira.

Did you recreate somebody's hairstyle? No. This style was created entirely from my head. If by anyway it looks like someone else's work then it's pure coincidence. 

Now that your questions have been answered...  Let's get on with the pictorial. 

What you will need:
*Bobby pins
*small pony tail holders (you need the smallest size so that it won't be visible... I just used the ones available) 
*moisturizer 
*Rat tail comb for sectioning
*wide tooth comb for detangling
*Hair Gel of your choice with a brush for application. 

Step 1: I Sectioned off a portion at the front then put the back in 5 sections like so. 

Hair in 5 sections with the front Sectioned off


Step 2: starting with the back sections... Remove the ponytail holder from one section, apply a little moisturiser and detangle with a wide tooth comb. Don't be heavy handed with the moisturiser because you don't want the hair to shrink up or look wet. 

Moisturize and detangle a section


Making the petals
Step 3: put the section in a pony tail. Be sure to secure the ponytail holder tight at the base. Next spilt the pony in two horizontally. 
Put in ponytail and split horizontally 




Step 4: Bend the lower half downwards in a curved manner and pin down the tips. I pinned it under a little bit close to the base of the pony but not exactly at the base.Leave the upper part and move to another section. 

Secure the lower part with a Bobby pin


Move on to another section and Repeat Steps 2,3 and 4. 

I split the outer petal of the one at the top in two again and tucked one to the left and the other to the right. So we are done with the sections and we have a total of 6 outer petals. 
Outer petals complete 


Step 5: spilt the inner section into 4 and pin them down towards the Centre.  Now we have 4 inner petals. 

Step 6: use your Bobby pin to join the petals where there are any gaps till you are satisfied. 

And we have this


All petals complete and we have a lovely bun
Doesn't it look Nice? :-D

The outer petals should be more than the inner petals bite cause it wouldn't be as pretty if they are the same number.

I don't want this post to be too long or too pic heavy so I split it into two.
Be sure to view my next post which details how I make the love shaped twist at the front. I will put a direct link to that post HERE  It's a continuation of this post so it's a must see.




12 comments:

  1. Thanks dear :-) Yes it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with this. But can I try it on my own without assistance?

    hairlevation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wouldn't be a problem for someone who is used to styling her own hair. It's really not that difficult. I'd suggest you try it out on your own, if you don't get it right then you could ask someone for assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up with everyone and their fancy do's ? I'm so jealous. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joyce!, you need not be jealous, that's why I put up a pictorial. So you could do it yourself or ask a someone to do it for you :-) we just got to let them know that being on a hair journey doesn't mean we can't style our hair or look so fancy with our own hair! Thanks for stopping by dear!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for adding your link to our protective styling challenge! Your sister has some super thick hair? I already complimented on IG but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot for your compliments! So glad you stopped by! :-)

      Delete
  6. Help, plz how can I make my hair grow faster cause its not really growing ever since I started making it

    ReplyDelete
  7. dis is by Ogundare Moyinoluwa

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Post!