Tuesday 22 September 2015

Washday Experience: Got it right this time!


Hey dearies! So I got a few suggestions and tips based on my last flexi rod attempt which was a fail. One thing I'd like to point out is that I actually was planning to achieve a different curl pattern from my previous flexi rod sets which you can find Here. You will also find a pic of my flexi rod set which I didn't get to post Right here.  If you follow my blog you'll know that I get good results wrapping my hair vertically on the rods. My curiosity lead me to a fail :-) 

A friend directed me to a this video where I got the most important tip. To start on dry hair! It never hit me, believe it or not I always start what ever set I do (flexi rods, bantu knot, rollerset) on damp or wet hair.  It made so much sense to start on dry hair, especially when it takes my hair forever to dry.  Do check out the video as you may pic out other tips from it as well as learn how to style your hair if you have shorter hair. 




For this Washday I started off by doing a hot oil treatment. I left the oil on my hair (covered with a processing cap) for 30mins then I took it down and applied the amla mud from my home made Amla oil. The experience...



My hair felt strengthened. Like I feared it was getting stiff but it wasn't. It just felt a bit strong if I put it that way. For a minute I thought this isn't right girl, stop! But I pulled myself together and applied all over my hair in four sections and braided each carefully. Put on my processing cap and let It sit for another 30mins.

I rinsed out the mud with water and started my shampoo process. I watched the water coming from my hair as I rinsed out each lather and first was really muddy (like yellowish... Maybe creamy.... Lol). I ended up lathering three times and so you'd know my hair didn't feel stripped at all. Instead it felt SOFT and the strengthening feeling I had when I applied the amla mud was there but reduced. In short sentence my hair was soft and strengthened!



I rinsed my hair so many times With water (I washed with warm water) and wrapped it up with towel. Left that on for 30 mins yes it took that long because I wanted my hair to get really damp with no water dripping at all and applied my DC mix.

After a long time (I lost track of time but it was wayyyy more than an hour! Lol) I rinsed it off and wrapped my hair once more. I let the wrap sit for abt 30mins then took it of and removed my hair from the braids only to find that some parts of my hair were still stained from the amla *angry face* I went back to rinse my head thoroughly again and (this time I did it with my hair loose and braided again. Wrapped my head for another 30mins to soak up water till it wasn't dripping at all.  I applied Lotta body moisturize me curl and style milk then split each section to create smaller sections and detangled carefully. I lost little hair from detangling. My hair felt great after the treat and I just let my hair air-dry till about 80% and I started my set.

Instead of wrapping my hair flat on the rods I rolled or twirled each section of hair before wrapping on the rods. I got the inspiration to do this from instagram. Saw that the curls achieved this way come out really lovely :-) Pictures say it better....


I wore the rods all through the Night and till the evening of the next day before taking the rods down. I just let natural air dry the set because I had used heat more than I'm OK with. I also didn't feel like using my blow dryer on cool air. This is how it turned out... 




When you finally get your hairstyle right!  Lol 


Can I say I hope this style will last long?  I got caught in the rain just that evening. The next day my hair (today)  my hair looks like this... 


I'll pull it up into a Bun on the fourth day and that's where it'll stay till the end of the week.  I'll come back and add the pic of the bun to this post.
(updated with pic of Bun)

Apologies for the effect of my white top on the pic 

10 comments:

  1. You go girl......it turned out as expected this time. Well done! So how many flexirods did you use to achieve this?
    .
    hairlevation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu :-) I used 22 rods (I totally forgot to mention)

      Delete
  2. Great job! Your hair didn't frizz too much even though you got caught in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice curls! It almost has BKO type curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it's very similar to BKO curls. I also usually twirl the hair before knotting down (for when I'm doing Bantu knot outs)

      Delete
  4. These curls are so pretty and they lasted well even in the rain! I like the way that you used different sizes to create dimension.

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much KLP! (happy dance)

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Post!